Welcome to Year 5/6.
Teacher: Mrs Ahmed
Teaching Assitant: Mrs Cope
General Class Notice
The curriculum map is glued into their homework books. Please make sure you check your child's school bag for any letters or trip consent forms. Homework is given out every Friday, please ensure you see your child's homework, and sign it. This is so you are aware of what your child is learning in school and you can see they are giving 100% in all work, including that outside the classroom.
Every child should be reading real books at home every week. In addition, they all have passwords for Reading Plus. This is a wonderful program online that helps improve speed of reading and understanding of texts. Please encourage your child to go on Reading Plus every week.
Remember PE is every Monday and Tuesday.
They also have username and passwords for TT rockstars, this is a program used to help them in their times tables.
What's happening in Summer 2?
After the half term, our new topic is:
How successful are we as entrepreneurs? Mini Enterprise
This topic has a big focus on Design Technology and communication skills, which will include children working in groups, researching, designing and marking their product.
- Count forwards and backwards with positive and negative whole numbers, including through zero.
- Interpret negative numbers in the context of temperature
- Add and subtract numbers mentally with increasingly large numbers
- Add and subtract whole numbers with four digits, including using formal written methods (columnar addition and subtraction)
- Use rounding to check answers to calculations and determine, in the context of a problem, levels of accuracy.
- Solve addition and subtraction multi-step problems in contexts, deciding which operations and methods to use and why.
Our focus books will be the following:
We will use these books around our English. We will focus on writing a non-chronological report of a Business plan, use our persuasive knowledge and create a poster. Finally, we hope to use poetry to create a jingle to promote our products.